Friday, April 23, 2010

Inspired by Phlox


Inspired by Phlox
Originally uploaded by linfrye
Daily Practice
Journal

These sweet, incredibly blue/lavender flowers are making their appearance in my secret garden. Their color seems to shimmer against all the greens. This creeping woodland phlox or blue phlox wends its way under the shrubs and trees, and is an absolute spring delight!

Our small secret garden is located by the side of our home between the garage and side door - and is often viewed as we park our cars overnight. The phlox's unique color draws the eye, and the stands of it seem to move from year to year to different areas of this quiet space. I purchased this plant years and years ago, so its botanical name is lost to me, unfortunately, but it seems to be thriving in our moist clay soil in part sun/part shade. I believe it to be a variety of Phlox divaricata ... ( http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PHDI5wends ).

We harvested our first chard, lettuce and beans from the Plant a Row for the Hungry spaces yesterday and delivered just under five pounds of food to the Food Shuttle! The volunteers were so excited --- that many of them went home to plant more vegetables in their own gardens!

I have to admit that I too was smitten - and so today, have a few more plants to find space for in my own vegetable beds!

Hope your day is grand!

4 comments:

Sandra said...

ll, having just noticed your work on Sketching in nature, which I follow, I just had to pop in to your blog. You are very talented. I'm in awe! I will be visiting again!

Lorraine said...

From bold dark blues yesterday to delicate blues today -- both lovely. And I love your description of your secret garden.

We are finally getting some much needed rain so that should help our plants, trees and flowers and especially dampen down the forest areas.

Congratulations on your food growing-donation effort at the college.
Hugs,
Lorraine

Teri said...

Beautiful! Love the shading on this especially the leaves.

Joan said...

I love the colors in this!!! Lovely job! The garden must be wonderful to look at each time you park your car.

Glad to hear you started harvesting!!! I think that's a great idea to raise produce for the hungry.

I've been running around a lot. My MIL is in the hospital for stomach problems and the test results are not good. I'll be heading over there shortly, and maybe will find out a bit more. At 86 years of age and with her other medical conditions I don't know if she will want them to do much. We will see.

Have a great day!!!